View the completed project here!
Bruce Browne was a pivotal figure in the arts scene of the Northwest, particularly through his work with Portland State University, Portland Symphonic Choir, Choral Cross-Ties, and Choro in Schola. Not only that, Bruce was a mentor, teacher, friend, and an inspiration to so many of us. Bruce founded Choro in Schola because he saw a need to support high school choral programs in the Portland area and empower the next generation of choral musicians. That’s where his heart was—sharing his gift with others so that they in turn could continue to transform lives through the choral art. This virtual choir project is not the end all be all tribute to Dr. Browne: it is not an official “Memorial” in that sense. It came from a longing of singers who sang with him to participate in something that would honor him, and from a desire to continue his work of supporting high school music programs in the Portland area.
We are contacting high school programs that have participated in our annual Choral FX event, and we are opening the invitation to singers who have worked with Bruce in the past. Quick info about the project:
- We are singing Sleep by Eric Whitacre—a piece very special to Dr. Browne
- You will need to be in possession of the score (either by purchasing a copy for yourself or by using a score owned by an organization or school you are a part of). If you are needing to purchase a score you can do so at https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/sleep-vocal-score-print-wjms1035
- Singers will use backing tracks to record with, but they will watch a video recording of Bruce conducting the piece so that they will embody Bruce’s interpretation
- Singers will view Bruce’s marked score so that they can sing the same dynamics and intent
- Singers will submit a separate audio recording and video recording
- Deadline is February 25, 2021
Below is the registration link to participate. We are asking that if you register that you commit to completing the project with your recordings submitted by February 25, 2021. All instructions and materials will be in a Dropbox folder—you will get the Dropbox folder link on your registration confirmation page.
Our project involves production costs of approximately $15 for each participant. Participants are not required to donate to offset these costs. However, if you are so inclined to do so, we appreciate whatever amount you choose to donate to help offset our expenses associated with
this tribute to Bruce.